a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Friday 24 October 2014

More preserving - apple and blackberry jam

 Last week was all about using up green tomatoes, this week I'm finding a use for all the tiny apples from our tree.


 With high winds threatened for Wednesday, we decided it was best to pick apples before they fell down. Some are good enough to store but some are too small and damaged, so I cleaned these up, then popped all the good bits including skins and cores into a pan. 
After cooking them till soft, I sieved them to make a purée to which I added blackberries from the freezer.
 It looks a bit like fruit cake mix at this stage but soon turns dark purple through and through. 
A quick boil, the addition of sugar, and more boiling and, ta da, jam!



No comments:

Post a Comment