a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Panic stations!

 I was shocked at the weekend to discover most of the pumpkins and squashes stored from last year were starting to rot - some just a little, some past hope of salvaging!

I then decided I ought to use up some of the remaining good bits - quickly!
So, time for some marmalade making.


 It's possibly simpler than traditional marmalade - cube the pumpkin/squash, add some chopped up lemons (all from the freezer where I keep the bits leftover after squeezing for juice or grating the rind) simmer till cooked and squashy. Add sugar and stand over night. Then boil till set.




Lovely orange-coloured, lemon-flavoured marmalade.

4 comments:

  1. Never heard of marmalade made from pumpkins. Interesting. Will give it a go in the autumn - if I don't accidently work out how to make pumpkin wine instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider pumpkin marmalade one of my 'normal' preserves - I've used courgettes, cucumbers and tomatoes as marmalade 'bases' before.....

      Delete
  2. I had heard of tomato marmalade (Apparently very delicious), but not the others. Would love to try the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more details and measurements on this older post - and I'm glad I checked it as I'd forgotten the idea of drizzling marmalade over roasted parsnips! http://maryomshomepage.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/pumpkin-marmalade.html

      Delete