a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Monday 5 March 2012

Store cupboard fail!

I decided one lunchtime last week to make chilli - mainly from home-grown veg - the end of a pumpkin that had been sitting in the fridge a little too long, my unpredictable chillies, tomatoes from the freezer - and a tin a cheap shop bought kidney beans.

Everything was going wonderfully till at almost the last minute I went in the 'tins' cupboard for the beans - plenty of special offer chick peas, cheapo baked beans, even a tin of cannellinis but NO kidney beans!

Now, I know I could have used one of the other sorts of beans but it seemed like a good opportunity to have a completely home grown lunch, so I raided the freezer again and added broad beans. Not usual for chilli, I'll grant you, but tasty nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. those are the best meals by far!!!Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy!!! I have used so many different combinations of foods for chill...almost always tastes good too! thanks for this new twist!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    chicken and mushrooms tonight for us!

    ReplyDelete