a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Monday 12 May 2014

Willow weaving


I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the gardening section - so I might put it in both.
I've often seen these sort of willow frames for sale in garden centres but as I have a pussy-willow tree in need of cutting back, I decided to try my hand at making my own.

The uprights and some of the circular pieces had been cut last year and dried out over winter. This turned out to be fine for the straight pieces but not for those I wanted to bend.
So, with some gentle easing, I curved them into a circle and left them tied up to 'set' in that position.
When I came to work them among the uprights, they still popped out of shape so, to hold them where I wanted them to go, I cut some fresh willow and bound them together. The dried hoops kept everything in vaguely the right shape and the fresh bendy pieces held everything together. Success!!

Now drying more hoops for a second wigwam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment