a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Sunday 18 August 2013

Eating/testing - pickled turnips

OK, so I thought this was a strange recipe when I found it but even so thought I'd try it out.



It looks very pretty as it's fist packed into jars but after a couple of weeks all of it turns a uniform pink.


Here it is on the left-hand side of my lunch plate.
The colour didn't worry me too much, afterall it comes from the beetroot slices.
What I wasn't prepared for was the taste - very salty and flavoured mainly of celery leaves! It's definitely an acquired taste and I'm not sure I'd make it again though it did use up those small turnips I'd have 
otherwise thrown away.
For now though, I intend chopping the pieces up on my plate and mixing in with blander vegetables. 



No comments:

Post a Comment