a busy domestic blog of knitting, sewing and all kinds of needlecrafts, cooking my garden produce and preserving it

Wednesday 9 November 2022

Painted silk scarf






A couple of Christmasses or birthdays (it's been a long while since I started this post) my eldest daughter gave me a silk-painting scarf kit. Both tie-dying and batik are things I've experimented with before , but I've never used silk as the fabric, so it felt a little daunting. 



It came with all the paints needed and a ready-hemmed piece of material to become the scarf  - but without any spare scraps to experiment on, so I was a bit nervous about starting. Get things wrong, and the whole project would be spoiled.
I decided it was an activity most suited to outdoors - that way splashes of paint didn't matter - so I waited till summer arrived, then set up my work station on the patio, using elastic bands to control where the paint would go. The technique is partly tie-dying, part painting as the material isn't immersed in dye.
It didn't turn out exactly as I expected - far more white patches than expected - so I might go back and repaint some sections but it's lovely as is.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment